Wednesday 22 April 2009

A dear old soul

Walking through the armpit of Europe (Kirkintilloch) I came upon a wee old woman. She was about 5' - 2" grey hair, a walking stick, glasses, a shopping bag, dark blue raincoat..and a lovely smile. So, what do you do when a good looking woman is passing? Yes, you stop to chat:-

"Hello my darling"
"Oh hello son" (Now when I'm called 'son' I melt)
"Out to spend all your money?"
"No, my grandaughter just had a baby and both of them are really ill"
"Oh dear. Are you away to visit them?"
"No, I'm going to pray to my Lord at the chapel in Union Street"
"Well bless your heart"
"I'll pray and then leave it in his hands. That's all we can do son"
"Yes, I believe that"
"Well bless your heart too"
Now I am nowhere near her calibre in spiritual things. I was humbled by her extreme faith and trust in the God she worships. If I'd have had time I'd have gone with her to her house of worship and prayed with her to the God and Father of us all. I hope her family will pull through

2 comments: