Monday 20 April 2009

A quiet afternoon

'It was the best of times and the worst of times'
Due to really nice weather here in Lenzie and being completely on my own I decided to take a short break to cope with the rigours of the rest of the day in the hazy sunshine. So I got a respectable covering (dust sheet from the local DIY emporium) to place on the well manicured lawn and lay down.
The smell of freshly cut grass (next doors) caused me to think about being a little boy in the hayfields of Kent. I used to lie down on the grass on the balmy afternoons gazing up at the cloud scudded sky and look for images in the clouds. Usually it was the image of a person I knew. I decided to relive some of those charming moments and closed my eyes for a couple of seconds. Then I looked up and to my utter astonishment I saw in the cloud patterns the face of Leah the Terrible. I closed my eyes again and wanted to see more. Open them again and Leah was still there!!
Mentally referring to my Wainright & Shusters (circa 1821) book of cloud names I knew instantly (My mum incidentally always said I had my head in the clouds) that this was a rare form of stratocumulus.
Then the 'cloud' bellowed in my face 'Papa'
Leah was of course with Rebecca her Mum and little sister Kayla. They too were joined a little later on by their cousins Eilidh, Hannah and Esther, and her Mum Claire. So, a quiet afternoon was spent trying to organise a bag of worms. Some old fashioned games were played 'Hunt the bumble bee' 'Whose squishy banana is this?' 'Guess what I've just trod in?' Outright winner was me because someone had actually found a bumble bee and the kids were last seen running north to The Campsies Hills.
Sitting here now in the conservatory realising that I'm slipping into a coma due to being shattered.

Night night my lurves

4 comments:

  1. You love the 'surprise visits'. Little do you know, they're a co-ordinated operation. We plan our strike for mid-afternoon - when sleepiness is at it's peak (yours) and the sun is high enough in the sky to as to provide optimum lazing opportunities on the couch in the consevatory (ours).

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one thought my lurves....please spell conservatory right if you wish to contribute.

    Thank......................you

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish I lived closer and I'd add my brood to your visitors x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add Debbies as well, that would be so much fun. Get Bob up as well just to push him over the top

    ReplyDelete